Thursday, November 8, 2012

Thing 13 visits the past to enhance the future

In a high school English class, I was required to use Google Documents for two reasons. The first was to turn in assignments and the second was to have the ability to save documents at school and finish them at home (or vice versa). What started out as a useful tool in the classroom has become an important aspect of many other areas of my life as well. As a leader in after school activities, I was able to distribute information to my subordinates. As a personal writer, I was able to access my stories wherever I was (even after my computer crashed several times). So, I have been sold on online word processing for a very long time. I have no doubt that students could use this tool to collaborate with their peers (because I've done it). Any document that is made in Google Docs can be shared with anyone in a variety of different, easy, ways. They could use this tool to make presentations and send them to other people in the group to be edited (or not because they have the option to make any document they share "read only"), or to have a peer proofread their essays. After using Google Docs and Zoho, I find it hard to find an actual preference based on any of the differences they have (besides the fact that Google Docs has all of my documents already on it). I didn't find many differences that were significant enough to choose one or the other. One thing I do like, however, is that with both online tools, you can do just about anything that can be done with Microsoft Word (I won't say everything because there are many features from Microsoft that I simply do not use and probably many more that I have no clue even exist). To prove this, I used Google Docs to complete a drawing similar to an assignment we recently had to complete in class. In the assignment we had to use Microsoft Word to draw out our ideal classroom. On Google Docs, I drew the layout of a house that I used to live in, and I was quite pleased with the results.

Layout Created in Google Docs

Overall, I am very pleased with this online tool. I will probably stick to using Google Docs, simply because I have already developed it to match my needs but I am so happy to know that it is not the only one out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments. I value your opinion on my path to learn as much as I can.